Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DonZoomik
Service Provider
Liked: 120 times
Full Name: Mihkel Soomere

Increasing parallelism for "Applying retention policy for ..." tasks in replication jobs

Post by DonZoomik »

They are limited to 4 concurrent tasks and it seems to be not controlled by MaxConcurrentDeletingSnapshotsForHost and MaxConcurrentDeletingSnapshotsForCluster registry keys. As it is basically snapshot removal, I'd guess that they are related...
I have jobs with hundreds of VMs and SANs seems to be running quite idle during snapshot removal, dragging out the process.

Is it possible it increase the limit of 4? Some registry key?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Increasing parallelism for "Applying retention policy for ..." tasks in replication jobs

Post by foggy »

Should be controlled by the mentioned values. By default, the number of concurrently removed snapshots is limited by 2 per single host and 4 in total for the entire cluster. Make sure you're setting the values correctly and restart the backup service after that.
DonZoomik
Service Provider

Re: Increasing parallelism for "Applying retention policy for ..." tasks in replication jobs

Post by DonZoomik »

MaxConcurrentDeletingSnapshotsForCluster is set to 8 and MaxConcurrentDeletingSnapshotsForHost to 4 but I only still see concurrent retention policy tasks in replication jobs, even after restart backup service again. Replica VMs are quite evenly spread over hosts as well. It's a bit hard to keep track but backup job snapshot removals seem to have increased but no dice for replication...
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Please open a support case for a closer look. Thanks!
DonZoomik
Service Provider

Post by DonZoomik » 1 person likes this post

DonZoomik
Service Provider

Post by DonZoomik »

I had to cancel the original ticket for reasons but I got back to it a bit later.
Support gave me another registry value that allows for more parallel tasks however I've been instructed to not share this publicly. #04548985 for reference if anyone needs it.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks for the update and reference - much appreciated!