Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Maksib
Lurker
Liked: never

Q: How to re-use existing backup configuration?

Post by Maksib »

Hi, I have not found an answer to my specifivc question in the forum.

I use the free Veeam Agent for Windows on my private Laptop. The laptop has two disks, one smaller SSD with OS and installed programs, and a separate large HDD for file storage. VEEAM did backups of the large HDD to an external 3,5" disk.

Now I changed the SSD to a larger one, including a clean install of the Windows 10. The Veeam Agent was installed on the old SSD, which is now in portable USB storage case, so it is still readable. I will keep it for a while just in case.

I would like to continue my automatic daily backups as before, but I am a bit lost here.

When the old SSD was installed, VEEAM made backups of the large HDD (where my important files are stored) to an external USB drive. Now I have re-installed the VEEAM agent on the new system SSD, but I don't know how to re-use the existing backup setting. Ideally, my daily backups should continue as before.

Can someone tell me how I can find the existing configuration on the old SSD? Or is it not possbible to transfer it to a new disk?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Q: How to re-use existing backup configuration?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Maksib,

even if you retrieve old backup job settings you will not be able to continue existing backup chain - Veeam Agent treats machines by System UUID, and by reinstalling Windows you have gotten a new one, thus agent will not be able to continue backup chain created from another System UUID.

Create a new backup job on a new agent and proceed with a new backup chain. Keep old one just in case until retention expires and you can delete it manually afterwards.

/Cheers!