Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
marcio.ligi
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marcello

Windows 7 backup with VEEAM (iso image)

Post by marcio.ligi »

Hi there!
I'm new to Veeam I still have to give it a try, I'm not sure whether would suit for my purpose.
I basically need to create an iso image from a Windows 7 PC already configured and with all needed software, and put it on a DVD or USB. That's pretty much it.
The purpose is to have directly a Windows 7 iso image that I must copy from a PC that has already all software, Windows and Office installed, so that when a new employee join the company I don't need to install Windows and all software one by one, I must specify on this PC Windows is installed directly so is not in a VM.
So I have a few doubts:
- Can I do this with Veeam? What I need to do in details? What version will I need (freeware?)
- Would be possible to copy just Windows 7 data and software, excluding personal data? How?
- There would be any issue with the Windows License or Office License once installed Windows 7 on the new PC?
- Do I actually need Veeam for this or there is any feature built in in Widows directly to create the image?

Thanks a lot.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 685 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Windows 7 backup with VEEAM (iso image)

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Marcello,

for all there is about Microsoft, Microsoft has got you covered!
Windows Deployment Services Toolkit is meant for configuration, imaging and deployment of desired machine configurations.

/Cheers!
marcio.ligi
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marcello

Post by marcio.ligi »

Ok thanks a lot, bu what about simply using the Windows Backup and restore in the control panel>system>Backup and restore> create image?
It seems that it let you choose the folders you want to backup, what would be the advantage of using the deployment toolkit? what would you recommend? the one already present in Windows seems to be more straight forward?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 685 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Use software right for the case: backup is meant to protect system A data and restore it if need be, deployment toolkit is meant to create valid system copies with needed configuration.
Creating an image of system with deployment kit also takes care about many aspects around further re-deployment, like system UUID, license, reset of personal data etc. With simple backup - restore you are doomed to face issues with copied system, as backup is not meant for redeployment of identical machines.

/Thanks!