Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Restoring VS. Copying From Capacity Tier

Post by wa15 »

The Veeam docs mention the following in regards to copying from capacity tier:

"Before copying data blocks, Veeam Backup & Replication verifies whether any of such blocks exist on any of the performance extents of your scale-out backup repository. If found, Veeam Backup & Replication will reuse the existing blocks instead of downloading the exact same data from the capacity extent."

Does this logic also apply to restores done from capacity tier? Let's say full VM restore or guest file restore? When referencing the "restore" section in the docs, there was no mention of this.

Reference: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
sfirmes
Veeam Software
Liked: 122 times
Full Name: Stephen Firmes

Re: Restoring VS. Copying From Capacity Tier

Post by sfirmes » 1 person likes this post

@wa15 Yes. The logic is similar. When you do a restore VBR will use any data(blocks) in the performance tier and will restore from the capacity tier (object storage) only the data (objects) needed to complete the restore.
Senior Solutions Architect, Product Management - Alliances @ Veeam Software
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

@sfirmes Great, thanks for the quick response! I did a full VM restore right now, and at the end it said that everything was copied from the capacity tier and 0 Bs were copied from the performance tier. I confirmed that the VM does indeed have restore points in the capacity tier. Any ideas why this would be?
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

I submitted Case # 04567107 regarding this issue. But if there is any feedback, it would be appreciated!