Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
corbitech
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Ashok Kumar

Veeam Backup Essentials Enterprise installed on Windows 10 Enterprise

Post by corbitech »

I have Veeam Backup Essentials Enterprise for Hyper-V (2 CPU socket license) which will be used to back up virtual machines hosted on a single virtual server (which is running Windows Server 2019 LTSC with Hyper-V role installed). I will deploy a standalone physical "backup server" which will host most of the Veeam components. I put "backup server" in quotes because it's a physical server as far as hardware is concerned, but I would like to install Windows 10 Enterprise instead of Windows Server OS to keep the licensing cost down. I've read the System Requirements documentation, and Windows 10 Enterprise appears to be supported for most Veeam components. I'm only aware of one Veeam component (Off-Host Backup Proxy Server) which requires a server OS, but I'm not planning to deploy that component.

Questions:

1. Am I correct in understanding that I can use Windows 10 Enterprise for all components of Veeam Backup Essentials Enterprise for Hyper-V (with the exception of Off-Host Backup Proxy Server)?
2. Is it better to use Windows 10 Enterprise Long Term Servicing Channel (LTSC aka Version 1809) or Current Branch for Business (CBB)?

#2 is of particular importance to me. On one hand, I feel that LTSC would be the more stable option because feature updates wouldn't be introduced into my Veeam backup infrastructure as often. On the other hand, there's one feature enhancement that I'm interested in that could benefit from CBB. I plan to use REFS for my backup repository storage. As I understand it, Microsoft made some recent improvements to REFS that are not included in LTSC. If I were to go with CBB, I could possibly benefit from the ongoing improvements of REFS.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam Backup Essentials Enterprise installed on Windows 10 Enterprise

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
1. yes. Windows 10 is fine. Note: you want to avoid the off-host proxy anyway. Off-host proxy is a complex topic...

2. whatever you like. With the size of your environment, everything will be "fast enough". I would probably go with the current branch.

Best regards,
Hannes