Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Andre

Oracle DB Backup - Copy only vs do not delete archived logs

Post by agrob »

Good Day

If i backup an VM with Oracle DB, i can set different Options in Guest Processing.
First of all, we use a separate RMAN Job to Backup DB and handle Logfiles. What i want to do, is to create a application consistent backup of the VM with the Oracle DB. At the moment we do only crash consistent backups.
What i wanted to do is to set the guest processing to "Perform copy only". AFAIK for this i have to specify a guest account which has local admin rights on the VM, otherwise Veeam cant connect to the VM. But this account has no rights in the Oracle DB. I get a "login denied" message from oracle.

The question is:
If i set the guest processing to "Process Transaction logs with this jobs", then go to the Oracle Tap, specify a different Account which has rights in Oracle (an Oracle Account, no windows account), and then select "Do not delete archived logs" -> does this have the same behavior as i would set guest processing to "perform copy only"?
i want avoid that i break the backup / log which we do with rman separately when i active veeams applicatoin processing.

thanks
regards
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Oracle DB Backup - Copy only vs do not delete archived logs

Post by Andreas Neufert »

I think there is a small difference. Copy only will bring the DB in a consistent state with alter database begin backup.

The "Do not delete archived logs" approach will additionally ask the database to use a new redologfile so that the current one will be copied to an Archive Log File. It basically create an additional Archive Log file before backup.

I don´t think this would be negative for what you want to achieve.
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Andre

Post by agrob »

Thanks for your Feedback Andreas.

So, if i still want/need to go with copy only mode, then i have to set the windows user, which is used for guest processing, to have sysdba rights in oracle as well, right?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Correct.