Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
agaitan026
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexis Gaitan

which offsite solution i can use with veeam community version?

Post by agaitan026 »

Hi happy new year everybody, theres any offsite solution for veeam community version? what you guys recommend?

I have a vmware esxi that i need to backup (15 vms)

i know i can use another server with ssh, but i would like to know if theres any commercial solution already without creating a server o having a disk connected to that vmware esxi machine.

thank you
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: which offsite solution i can use with veeam community version?

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

You will have to use a paid veeam version.
Community Edition will only let you backup 10 of your 15 vms.
With Community Edition, you will be able to copy your restore points to a second Site, but you will have to configure a backup repo server there.

For Object Storage (Azure, amazon or onpremise S3 Storage), you will need at least Enterprise Edition Functionality.

For using a Veeam Cloud Connect Provider, you will have at least Standard Edition Functionality.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
agaitan026
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexis Gaitan

Post by agaitan026 »

got it, so with veeam community i cant upload to any offsite right? by offsite i mean commercial things like object storage azure s3 etc, i just will be able to backup to a regular linux machine with ssh
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Yes, veeam Community Edition cannot upload Backups to „object Storage“ or „Veeam Cloud Connect Repositorys.

In your case with 1 esxi and 15 vms, you will to buy at least 15x VUL-VeeamBackupEssentials (Veeam Universal License).
And you will need a Backup Server on Premise. Upload to Object Storage is only possible with the first backup chain stored to a SOBR (Scale Out Backup Repo).
Direct upload to object storage is not possible.
i just will be able to backup to a regular linux machine with ssh
Can you tell me more about that? Never heard of a backup technology, specifically veeam todo backups with the help of ssh.
Are syou talking about a onPremise Linux Backup Repository? SSH will be used to deploy the veeam binaries. After that, veeam will use a native transport service/Agent for transport the backup data to the linux repo.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software