Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
selva
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Selva Nair

On notifications about SOBR errors in VBR 10

Post by selva »

This may be due to my misunderstanding, so no case opened. But happy open a ticket if otherwise.

I have email notifications enabled for warnings and failures (excluding success) with "suppress notifications until the last job retry" selected. And, I do not get any emails when SOBR offload fails. Is this is because SOBR offload will be repeatedly retried and never reach a "last retry"? Is there a way to get notified when the offload fails a number of times in a row, perhaps?

I have seen a thread discussing how to stop daily scale-out emails (veeam-backup-replication-f2/disable-dai ... ml#p313223), but my issue is kind of opposite. I get no notification where I would have expected one.

The log history in B&R console does show the errors when the "Storage management" node is selected, but I failed to keep an eye on that, and my offsite copy has now fallen far behind.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: On notifications about SOBR errors in VBR 10

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
if you don't get the email, please open a support ticket. I checked my emails and I see "offload failed" for my SOBR

Best regards,
Hannes
dariusz.tyka
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dariusz Tyka

Post by dariusz.tyka »

I've exactly same situation. Within global settings notifications are set on warning, error and suppress until last job retry.
S3 offload was not working few days ago for 2 days and I didn't get notifications about that. Will create a support ticket about that after Christmas. Maybe within that time you'll get some information back from Veeam support.
selva
Enthusiast

Post by selva »

My case (#04558788) is inching along.. Will post here if I learn something useful.
selva
Enthusiast

Post by selva »

After reviewing the logs and configuration database support engineer has only determined that email is not being generated but nothings seems to be wrong anywhere and no idea why. So I'm asked to experiment on my own with restarting the backup services etc. Unlikely to help as the server has been already rebooted twice since I started noticing this (at least Dec 6th, could be earlier or probably never worked for SOBR offload errors as I never had any until then)

The image @ HannesK posted shows notifications for this error should using exactly the same version as mine, so not sure what to try next.

@dariusz.tyka Please share if you find out anything more helpful.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Post by Gostev »

If your support engineer has "no idea why", then he's supposed to escalate the case to a higher support tier, instead of having you experiment on your own. Ask him to do so, or do it yourself via the Talk to a Manager functionality in the Customer Portal.

Normally, debug logs should have all the information why email is not being generated, as it's not like the code that generates notification emails can magically avoid logging its activity into the corresponding log file.
dariusz.tyka
Enthusiast

Post by dariusz.tyka »

@selva - created a support case today. Case number #04571667. Will let you know when Veeam support will respond.
selva
Enthusiast

Post by selva »

In case this helps anyone: I moved my B&R server to a fresh installation yesterday and in the process upgraded it from 10.0.1.4854 to the same version + cumulative patch 202002. It did not make any immediate difference to the lack of notification for SOBR offload error, but, this morning at 6am I received an email that looks exactly like the expected notification that @Hannes posted in this thread earlier.

Assuming this holds, and SOBR errors are supposed to be reported only daily, not at each re-tiering attempt, my issue seems to have resolved.

The server move could not have changed anything (fresh install + config restore), no registry edits were made to suppress daily SOBR reports or anything non standard like that. So possibly the upgrade fixed it? Or something just got "shaken out of a bad state" in the process of move/upgrade?
selva
Enthusiast

Post by selva »

Correction: I meant "patch 20201202"
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, SOBR status report is daily.

Sounds more like some environment-specific SMTP issue that change of server has resolved, as there are no known email notification issues on our end in any of the v10 builds. We can only guess here of course, while the debug logs will have the answer for sure... just need someone knowledgeable (not me) to look at them :D
dariusz.tyka
Enthusiast

Post by dariusz.tyka »

Hi,

I just got initial response from Veeam support:
"I would like you to use this powershell command to activate the report. This is specifically designed for this notification. Please check it and let me know if it solved the issue:
- https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100".
But this is not true as those notifications should be sent automatically.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You are right, these notifications are sent automatically.
dariusz.tyka
Enthusiast

Post by dariusz.tyka »

After few mails exchanged between me and Veeam support I was told to enable notifications per backup job and see if this will solve the issue. I suppose it is not necessary as mail notification within global options should be sufficient. What to do next?
Escalate the support ticket?

Dariusz
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, global notifications must be enough. I never used per-job notifications except for testing purposes.

yes, escalation looks like a valid option.

Best regards,
Hannes