Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ortec-RW
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Richard Willkomm

Hostname change/edit for servers/repositories

Post by ortec-RW »

Hi

We are migrating out Veeam server from a physical platform to a virtual. At the same time the DNS domain for the Veeam server changes (e.g. from company.com to backup.com). Migration is done via the Config backup import.

Importing the config in a new clean Veeam server works, and all the objects (jobs,servers, etc) are created. But some editing is needed. For instance, all the reposities that reside on a Windows host need to be edited. For this we need to change the windows host-name that contains the repository.

In the old domain, the Windows host is called host1.company.com, but it was added into Veeam using just host1. Since Veeam itself was part of company.com it did not need the FQDN to find the Windows host. But now Veeam resides in backup.com, so it will not find host1.backup.com. I need to change the name from host to host1.company.com.

When editing objects, the host/ip name is greyed out. It cannot be edited.

Is there another way in which I can change the hostname/ip address for objects that already present in the Veeam inventory/infra/database ?
Or do I need to re-create those objects, and re-attach them to jobs etc ? This is a lot of work. And I might run into dependencies (repo's that cannot be deleted as long as a job is still attached to it etc.)

Greetings,
Richard
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Hostname change/edit for servers/repositories

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Richard,

I would add repositories by FQDN or IP and follow the procedure from this KB article, as far as I understand the method B should fully address your case.
Although, I recommend to test this scenario with a "dummy" job before pointing your production jobs to the new repositories in order to avoid unexpected issues.

Alternatively, you could try to resolve DNS names via hosts file so that the backup server can see the existing repositories.

Thanks!
ortec-RW
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Richard Willkomm

Re: Hostname change/edit for servers/repositories

Post by ortec-RW » 1 person likes this post

Hi Petr

Thanks for the reply. I managed to use DNS alias in the host file to work around hosts that were not added via their FQDN.

Greetz !!!