Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JamesieA
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: james Allcock

ReFS and Proxies

Post by JamesieA »

Hi all,

During a recent discussion with someone at Veeam, they mentioned that we should change the way we use our QNAP NAS boxes to ReFS by presenting them as iSCSI. I've had a look and can't find much on setting this up with Veeam.

As far as I can tell, we'll need a Windows server that connects to the iSCSI and formats it as ReFS. Our issue comes with our proxies. Can each one have its own connection to the QNAP? Should they access through the single server that's got the ReFS drive, maybe by SMB share? If so, do they still get the benefits of ReFS? Or is the idea that only 1 server, probably a proxy, connects to the NAS and has a ReFS drive?

At the moment, we have NFS shares on the NAS boxes and the repositories are defined as conencting to SMB shares. Both the Veeam server and proxies write to the same SMB share.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: ReFS and Proxies

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Basically, iSCSI would be a preferable option from reliability perspective and usually it provides better performance in comparison to SMB. Not sure why do you want that several proxies are able to access the same storage? The idea to have only 1 repository server which works with its own drive seems to be solid.

Thanks!
JamesieA
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: james Allcock

Post by JamesieA »

Thanks, I do see that there's a benefit to using iSCSI and a ReFS drive.

I've never fully got to grips with proxies, to be honest, our current configuration was set up before my time with the organisation. Taking one site, we have 1 Veeam B&R server, one proxy. Most jobs are able to use whichever server is available, rather than being set to just one. Both servers have access to 4 NAS boxes.

Sounds like we should just have each NAS be attached to a single server, maybe 2 on the B&R, 2 on the proxy, is that right? So we'd lose some flexibility in having whichever server is less busy picking up the next job compared to more efficient use of storage space.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

At first sight, 2 on the B&R and 2 on the proxy sounds like a reasonable idea as you split load in equal proportion between different backup infrastructure components. Although, I don't think that there is the "only right" way, it's up to you to opt for an option which suits better in your specific case.

If your main goal is to ensure maximal flexibility, then SMB might be a way to go as well. You may refer to this page on our help center to check the requirements for shared folder backup repositories.

Thanks!