Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gtrspctr
Novice
Liked: never

Copying older backups to another local drive for longer retention

Post by gtrspctr »

Hi,

I've been trying to figure out how to reconfigure the jobs on this Veeam server for a while now and thought I'd just ask for official recommendations :)

So we have been keeping local backups for a month - Reverse incremental, backup every 2 hours. Now we want to change it to a year of retention; however, there is not enough space on the current repository disk to keep a year's worth. So what I'd like to do is take all the backups older than, say, 3 months and move them to an external drive and then keep them there for another 9 months or so.

I have set both of those locations up as backup repositories. I tried to make a SOBR and have the backups move as they age out, but it appears that only works for object storage, not local repository. I also looked a bit into GFS, but I couldn't see a way to have it split the older backups to the external drive.

Does what I'm describing make sense? I know it's not an ideal setup, but it's what I have to work with... Is there a way to do this in Veeam or do I need to whip up some Powershell scripts to do the moving?

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Copying older backups to another local drive for longer retention

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I would propose to make a backup copy job and point it to another drive. You can instruct this backup copy job to store just a few regular restore points for a shorter time period, for example one week. Also, you can configure GFS retention policy for long-term archiving purposes.

Thanks!