Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kaboomza
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jaques Coetsee

Backup copy job retention

Post by kaboomza »

Hi there,

If I setup a backup copy job and my retention points are less than the retention on the original job, that does mean that I will not have a 1to1 match of the same amount of retention points on the backup copy location right?

If I wanted a true 1to1 match then my retention points on the backup copy job needs to match what I have in the original job correct?
kaboomza
Enthusiast

Re: Backup copy job retention

Post by kaboomza »

I had another question as well, what is best practise with regards to how many backup copy jobs I should have. at the end of the day its limited by the concurrent tasks on the repository anyway right?

Lets say I had 15 backup jobs and I wanted to be very specific and create 15 backup copy jobs targeting a single job would that be okay or should I bundle more jobs together in one backup copy job?
kaboomza
Enthusiast

Post by kaboomza »

Any assistance would be appreciated guys, thanks.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Jaques

- "that does mean that I will not have a 1to1 match of the same amount of retention points" - correct.
- "If I wanted a true 1to1 match then....needs to match what I have in the original job correct?" - not really. It depends what you mean by true 1to1 - if "vbk and vibs are identical", then No. Backup copy job re-synthesizes backup files at destination instead of blunt file-copy. If by 1to1 you mean "Monday restore point is here and there" then yes, with identical schedules(pick backup copy mirror mode?) and retention policies, your backup copy will offload restore points as they are created and keep them in destination with equal retention.
- "what is best practice with regards to how many backup copy jobs I should have" - there is no best practice for that, depends on your requirements and needs - single backup copy job can copy all backups created by dozens of independent backup jobs, can offload entire repository as a source, or serve a single VM backup offload. You can mix different Backup Copy Job types and sources - for example have Mirror Mode for most critical machines and another one with Prune mode for less dependent workloads running twice a week or something...Back to your case example with 15 jobs - if target is the same, if retention is the same, if copy period is the same, than I don't see why not to group them under single Backup Copy Job.

/Cheers!