Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Tib
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

RSTOR

Post by Tib »

Hello everyone,
i was wondering if someone tried or is using RSTOR with veeam for office 365 backup?
https://www.rstor.io/cloud-economics/pr ... alculator/
Their prices are rahter impressive.
Where is the catch?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: RSTOR

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hello!

RSTOR is mentioned as supported in the sticky topic of the Object Storage sub-forum of the VBR forum. If you don't mind, I will move this topic to that sub-forum later, because VBO uses the object storage interaction engine from VBR, and we collect all the relevant information there.

As for your question, I was actually tempted to respond this was "nothing special", as the pricing seems identical to Wasabi and Backblaze. And if Backblaze added their S3 endpoint only some months ago, Wasabi has been a popular choice among Veeam customers for quite a long time now.

Comparing to hyperscalers, the catch is a lower redundancy storage from a less mature and yet unproven vendor. Plus, you need to realize that you will be an early adopter, and be prepared to face the usual associated risks, which may cost you your time - and in the end result in higher total effective costs. So as always in IT, there's no "universally correct" recommendation here either: everyone has to weigh pros and cons based on their specific situation.

Thanks!
Tib
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Re: RSTOR

Post by Tib » 2 people like this post

Thank you Gostev,
Sure feel free to move my topic to the right forum and sorry about that.
I did a "search" RSTOR but on the wrong forum obviously. ;)

Backblaze was my first choice, they are super profesionnal and nice btw.
but i am always nervous with Backblaze, Amazon, Azure, and their API prices.
It's like running in the fog, as i have no idea how much a full restore can cost.
and even if my first backup is LOCAL!

With RSTOR The price remain the same $0.0045 GB/Month so 4,5$ / month for 1To
This is too good to be true..
Indeed they are a very unproven vendor, and this is the reason why i am on this forum.
I am desperately looking for customer experiences but surprisingly google remain silent...
Scary!

Cisco is behind RSTOR, but i am not a CISCO big fan, well this is still CISCO...
Well i will think about it, until then let's see Wasabi's offer but i am not a wasabi big fan..
I mean, the real wasabi. :D thank you !