Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
jadonr
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jadon

Where is the Retention Policy?

Post by jadonr »

This may be more from my own ignorance, but I noticed that when I create a new backup job with the type as "Workstation", the mode is forced into "Managed by Agent".

It appears that when using this mode, I do not have the retention policy options.

If I go back and instead set the Job Type as "Server", I then have the Retention policy options.

Is this expected behavior and if I wish to have a retention policy on my workstation backups, do I just instead set them up with the Server type?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Where is the Retention Policy?

Post by Mildur »

There is none. No GFS Retention
Retention for Workstations works different:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=40

If you configure it as a server, you will have to license this machine as a server (Veeam Agent for Windows Server)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Jadon,

Mildur's right, this behaviour is expected.
You can find more information about the difference between product editions here.

Thanks!
jadonr
Enthusiast

Post by jadonr »

Thanks for the feedback. Is it presumable that a 7-day backup policy for a workstation is sufficient for most users? Or do some purchase the server licensing to use on a workstation for this purpose?
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Jadon,

well, it's up to you which version to use. There are also differences in scheduling options (you can take a look at the full list with comparison here).
You can chose workstation edition if you don't require any features which are supported in Server edition only.

Thanks!
jadonr
Enthusiast

Post by jadonr »

Thank you. So I'm curious about the retention based on days for the workstation. If I have a 7-day backup policy defined, I am only able to restore to a point in the past 7 days or would I be able to restore files versioned for the past 7 edits? In other words, if the original file was saved 6 months ago in this scenario, would that restore point be removed after the 7th day?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi jadonr,

Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows takes into account not calendar days but days on which backup files were successfully created, so if backup job was not working for past X days that would not affect existing restore points. Here is the detailed explanation. Cheers!