Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DDIT
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

GFS: multiple month-end backups

Post by DDIT »

Hello,

I received an notification for low space on my off-site repo and when looking at the backup files was surprised to see
2x VBK's for each month-end
3x VBK's for each week-end
3x VBK's for the most recent year-end (2020) + 2x VBK's for the previous year-end

Storage is ReFS. Screenshot below shows all backup files of a particular server, but this is affecting all servers.
https://i.imgur.com/D18bpbw.png

My Backup Copy job is configured to run everyday (copies the last 10 restore points from on-site repo), then keep the last 4 weekly, 12 monthly and 20 yearly backups.

Shall I open a case, or is the answer much more obvious?
Thanks in advance.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: GFS: multiple month-end backups

Post by foggy »

Hi Michael, we do not know the job schedule and other configuration options, however, the fact that you have several, say, weekly full backups for the same server dated by the same day with a few minutes between them looks unexpected to me. I'd ask our engineers for a closer look.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6719 times

Post by Gostev »

While it is clearly some problem that needs to be investigated, referring to the disk space issue specifically I wanted to remind that synthetic full backups don't take any physical disk space on ReFS.
DDIT
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

Post by DDIT » 1 person likes this post

Thanks. I appreciate these backups may only be taking up negligible space due to ReFS, but wouldn't have checked without the notification of low space. Support case created #04596953