Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
mc1903
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: mc1903

SOBR Tiering / Long Term Retention into an object store / GFS

Post by mc1903 »

Hi,

I am going round & round in circles and getting myself tied up in knots with v10 SOBR tiering, object stores and long term retention/GFS.

I want to run backups to an on prem performance repository (extent?) and also immediately copy them into a capacity tier (S3). SOBR capacity tier does this with the "copy backups to object storage as soon as they are created". My on prem operational restore window would be 7-14 days.

I also need long term retention/archive (1-2 years) of the monthly backups into an object store (again S3/S3 Infrequent Access today then to Glacier when it is supported). If I use the SOBR capacity tier "Move backups to object storage as they age out of the operational restores window" what retention/archive policy options do I have today? Are these backups ever aged out and if so what controls it? I just don't see any policy options to control this data from just growing for ever?

Can I use Forever Forward Incremental with SOBR tiering 'move' or must I still create a Synthetic Full to seal/transform the backup chain before it can be offloaded in to S3?

Finally, does the backup job "Keep some periodic full backups longer for archival purposes" option (GFS retention policy) have any bearing/impact on the SOBR capacity tiering?

How best do I achieve this? Multiple jobs?

Thanks
M
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: SOBR Tiering / Long Term Retention into an object store / GFS

Post by jmmarton » 2 people like this post

In your primary job enable GFS retention, specifying 12 monthly backups or 24 monthly backups or however many you need. Then as you said, by enabling both copy & move in the SOBR Capacity Tier it means those GFS points will be copied immediately and removed from the Performance Tier based on the policy setting you specified in the move part of Capacity Tier (# of days). The number of monthlies specified in the backup job itself will determine how many of those are kept in the Capacity Tier.

Joe
mc1903
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: mc1903

Post by mc1903 »

Thank you for clearing that up Joe.

Just to confirm the backup job "Backup Mode" needed for this would be Forward Incremental with a Synthetic Full? Would Transforms also be required?

Cheers,
M
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton » 2 people like this post

The backup mode doesn't come into play as far as the GFS part goes. And even for copying daily backups to Capacity Tier the backup mode doesn't matter. You only need to create periodic synthetic/active fulls if you want to move (remove from the Performance Tier) the daily backups so that those ONLY exist in the Capacity Tier.

Joe