Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MatzeB
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Matthias Beller

Feature Request Netapp Export Policies

Post by MatzeB »

Dear Community, Dear Veeam Team,

I have a feature request for Netapp storage integration in Veeam. I hope there was no request in this direction yet, at least I couldn't find anything in the forum.
Many customers use Netapp storage with NFS. When you add a Netapp storage system in Veeam (cluster or SVM) you get the possibility to automatically create requiered NFS export rules.
This feature seems to be very useful at first sight, but in practice especially in larger environments with multiple Veeam servers (proxies / repo etc.) it is not.
By selecting this function, Veeam extends the existing export policy to ALL IPs of the "managed servers" in Veeam.Often these components have IPs in different networks, but the Netapp only in the NFS storage network, often even in a dedicated unrouted network. Adding all IPs is therefore not helpful and can technically never work.

Therefore I have three suggestions:
- If the option "Create requiered NFS export rules automatically" is selected, a list/dropdown should appear where all IPs of the Veeam servers appear and you can manually select which ones to add.
- There could be a check e.g. by ping between the Netapp IPs and the selected IPs to verify that a connection is possible.
- When removing a Netapp storage system (cluster or SVM) the exports are deleted no matter if you created them manually or not. Here I would like to see a popup that shows all IPs that should be removed and gives me the possibility to say yes/no.

Many greetings
Matze
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Feature Request Netapp Export Policies

Post by Andreas Neufert »

When you select specific proxies at the add storage wizard only those should be added to the export policy. I think this addresses the main concern of your request?
MatzeB
Veeam Vanguard

Post by MatzeB »

I already know this possibility, but to be honest this option only partially helps. Under certain circumstances the proxy has 2-3 network cards e.g. management and two NFS storage networks, also here the management is added unnecessarily.
Unfortunately, in practice this is often accidentally left on "Auto Proxy" which then leads to a flood of entries.

I just see the possibility to simplify the process and add some checks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Matze, thank you for the detailed feedback - always appreciated. A few comments below:
MatzeB wrote: Jan 20, 2021 8:43 am - There could be a check e.g. by ping between the Netapp IPs and the selected IPs to verify that a connection is possible.
Veeam B&R does check the connection later upon verification of target portals. No need to do it twice.
MatzeB wrote: Jan 20, 2021 8:43 am - When removing a Netapp storage system (cluster or SVM) the exports are deleted no matter if you created them manually or not. Here I would like to see a popup that shows all IPs that should be removed and gives me the possibility to say yes/no.
This issue is addressed in the upcoming v11 - if the export rules autocreation check box is not selected, then Veeam B&R doesn't delete any rules on the storage.
MatzeB
Veeam Vanguard

Post by MatzeB »

Hi Foggy,

thank you for the answer. Good to know that one of the issues is already addressed in v11. Maybe a detailed IP address selection will be part of a future release. I am excited about v11 ;)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Not in v11, but we've noted the request. Thanks.