Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mc1903
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: mc1903

Maximum Concurrent Task settings for combined Proxy/Repository/Gateway.

Post by mc1903 »

Hi,

I have a 24 core physical Windows server that will run as a combined Proxy, Repository (Performance & SOBR) & Gateway (for SOBR/S3) server.

I want to use a maximum of 22 cpu cores for the combined Veeam roles - I think 2 for Windows OS/other services/apps (AV/monitoring) should suffice.

How should I set my Maximum Concurrent Tasks in both the Proxy configuration and the Repository configuration?

Do I set both to 22 and let them work out what is free to use as they need it or would that mean they could try to use a combined maximum of 44?

Thanks,
M
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Maximum Concurrent Task settings for combined Proxy/Repository/Gateway.

Post by foggy »

You should consider the fact that the server performs several roles when configuring the max number of parallel tasks for each of them. In total, those should not exceed the available number of slots.
mc1903
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: mc1903

Post by mc1903 »

Thanks @Foggy.

So the roles are unaware of how many tasks the other role are running?

So how do concurrent proxy tasks equate to concurrent repository tasks? Is there a 'golden ratio' for sizing?

Assume my job is backing up a 3 VM's in parallel; each VM has with 5 disks (1 task = 1 CPU = 1 vmdk?). How many repository tasks would be running?

Cheers
M
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Post by nitramd » 1 person likes this post

each VM has with 5 disks (1 task = 1 CPU = 1 vmdk?).
Veeam uses one physical CPU per vmdk.
So how do concurrent proxy tasks equate to concurrent repository tasks? Is there a 'golden ratio' for sizing?
Artis et scientiae. Something to monitor and adjust if necessary.

Have a look at the Best Practices guide: https://bp.veeam.com/vbr/
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

mc1903 wrote: Jan 21, 2021 10:47 am So the roles are unaware of how many tasks the other role are running?
Correct.
mc1903 wrote: Jan 21, 2021 10:47 am So how do concurrent proxy tasks equate to concurrent repository tasks? Is there a 'golden ratio' for sizing?

Assume my job is backing up a 3 VM's in parallel; each VM has with 5 disks (1 task = 1 CPU = 1 vmdk?). How many repository tasks would be running?
The link to the Best Practices guide should help with sizing. Keep in mind the per-VM backup chains setting in mind.