Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
cosmik
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Michael Pappas

Free Agent 3 to 4 on Windows 7: does CBT get enabled?

Post by cosmik »

Hello,

I'm a very happy user of the Veeam free agent of Windows. Installed on my home systems as well as of colleagues.

Got a strange case on a friend's laptop, running Windows 7 Home with Veeam 3. I've upgraded to Veeam 4.0.1 and run a backup, expecting of some indication regarding CBT. Nothing appeared though. Ran a second incremental one with the same result: slow and no indication of CBT being enabled.

Any ideas/pointers to have CBT enabled?

I am aware that I should open a case, but I do not have access (or time) to the laptop. Hence, just asking for pointers here.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Free Agent 3 to 4 on Windows 7: does CBT get enabled?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Michael.

- Speed and CBT has nothing in common, its about amount of data you backup, not how fast it goes.
- Use of CBT(aka Changed Blocks Tracking) depends on backup mode. With File-Level backup it does not make much sense(we track changes per file, not per block), thus not used. With Volume Level backup you should see [CBT] mark at the end of each volume being processed under session log, that is if CBT is being used. Like: "(C:) (464.4 GB) 27.9 GB read at 273 MB/s [CBT]"
- Anyhow, no matter of backup mode there shall be a line: "Incremental backup created" within same session log, pointing that .vib increment has been created(you can check backup target for it)
- Make sure Win7 has SP1 installed. I'm quite sure we wouldn't even update the agent if not, but still worth a chance.

/Hope that helps!
cosmik
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Michael Pappas

Post by cosmik »

Found out the cause which was exactly what you pointed out. A file-based backup was taking place. I switched to a system-level backup and now it all works smoothly. Thanks!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Thanks for update and I'm glad it sorted out!
/Cheers!