Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
KeiichiKun
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times

Surebackup without DNS and ssh/ftp

Post by KeiichiKun »

Hi all,
I've a surebackup job with a linux vm that uses a dns server that I can't add into the surebackup job.
When I try to login to the vm using ssh, the login is painfully slow. If I try to get a file from vsftpd instance, I can login (this login is slow too) but the download won't work (timeout).
For all these reasons I think that there are some problems with dns query.
Could you confirm that there's no way to make dns query from the vm of surebackup without having the dns server itself inside the application group?
Any hint on this behaviour?
Case #04592135

Thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Surebackup without DNS and ssh/ftp

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

It's quite difficult to identify the root cause of a technical issue over the forum posts so I'd prefer to let the opportunity to troubleshoot this problem to our support team.

Predictably, a VM cannot reach DNS server from the isolated network represented by DataLab unless DNS server is added in the application group.

Thanks!
KeiichiKun
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times

Post by KeiichiKun »

Hello,
we have solved the problem deleting the resolv.conf file and using scp instead of ftp to copy files.
Now there's another problem. I would like to automatize this deletion, so I've write two lines of code

#!/bin/bash
cp /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.000
rm /etc/resolv.conf
touch /etc/resolv.conf

This obviously is a linux script, so to run it from backup server I think something like this is needed

putty.exe -ssh username@ip -p password -m c:\myscript.sh

This solution has two problems
- clear text password :cry:
- the putty ssh connection won't work in a short time, because deleting the resolv.conf file is the only way to be able to quickly connect via ssh to the server!

Thanks again
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I'm not sure that automatic deletion of resolv.conf is a reliable workaround. I would recommend to continue working with our support team in order to identify the exact root cause of the issue and then to look for possible ways to solve it.

Thanks!