Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
c.schulzejn
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Christoph Schulze

Backup Repository Server: officially supported Linux Distributions

Post by c.schulzejn »

With the upcoming hardening Linux Repository we do concider using Linux servers. Sadly even the documentation of v11 does not speak about supported Linux Distribution clearly, it just excludes Oracle Linux 5 in the System Requirements - Backup Repository Server.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/ba ... .html#repo
Linux except Oracle Linux 5 (bash shell, SSH and Perl are required). Check the full list of required Perl modules in this Veeam KB article.
64-bit edition of Linux must be able to run 32-bit programs. Pure 64-bit Linux editions are not supported (Perl installation must support 32-bit variables).
I do have some experience with other big vendors regarding Linux. They where pretty hard closing tickets with unsupported distributions / versions.

The Term "Linux except Oracle [..]" is just an exclusion of a specific Linux Distribution. Some sort of blacklist, not a whitelist.

Because of that I do expect the following:
  • no known issues with any linux out there, as long as KB2216 is fullfilled
  • if Veeam gets to known a new issue, their R&D will fix it
Will Veeam meet my expectations? :-)

PS: With that Linux Kernel 5.8 and VAL comes into my mind...
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup Repository Server: officially supported Linux Distributions

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
did you see the red text?

THIS PAGE CONTAINS INFORMATION ON FEATURES THAT ARE NOT RELEASED YET. DO NOT SHARE OUTSIDE VEEAM.

As for hardened repository, we will really support everything that meets the requirements listed there and in the hardened repository section.

Both sections are not finished yet (I'm working actively on these sections and they will be changed before GA!).

Much more interesting is which distributions are fully supported for XFS (additional to the experimental support for literally every distribution). That will limit you to only a few ones ;-) I assume, nobody want's to create a new repository in 2021 without block cloning...

Best regards,
Hannes

PS: if you are aware of the 5.8 kernel issue, then you are also aware that this has nothing to do with each other. completely different technologies.
c.schulzejn
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Christoph Schulze

Re: Backup Repository Server: officially supported Linux Distributions

Post by c.schulzejn » 1 person likes this post

Thx for your quick reply. Much appreciated.

I did only replace a single character in the URL to access the v11 documentation :mrgreen: