PowerShell script exchange
jdw
Technology Partner
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: JD Wallace

Snapshot Names for Snapshot-Only Jobs

Post by jdw »

Is it possible to get the names or other unique identifier for storage snapshots created by a specific backup session of a Snapshot-Only job?
I'm interested in particular for storage arrays leveraging the Universal-Storage API.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Snapshot Names for Snapshot-Only Jobs

Post by soncscy »

Heya JD,

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Does that work for you? I don't have a Universal Storage, but for my Netapp it works great with the respective Netapp command.
jhoughes
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 112 times
Full Name: Joe Houghes

Post by jhoughes »

That should work since he's looking for this within Pure.

Hey JD, will ping you later about the tweet. ;)
Husband, Father, Solutions Architect, Geek Extraordinaire | @DenverVMUG, @AustinVMUG & @ATXPowerShell leader | VMware vExpert | Cisco Champion
jdw
Technology Partner

Post by jdw »

Thanks you two.

I don't think this is quite what I'm looking for, but maybe I just need to think through it a bit more.

Here is a bit more context. I'm creating a post-job script that is intended to be run at the end of a Snapshot Only Backup Job in order to go do some work with the snapshot(s) that was just created. I can use Get-VBRBackupSession to get a handle to the session that the executing script was just called from, but I need to use that to somehow get the name of the snapshots. I could try to construct the snapshot name from the job name and such, but it appears to include a string of characters that from as far as I've been able to tell is randomly generated.

If I'm understating correctly, Get-StoragePluginSnapshot will get a snapshot object if I know the name of the snap or the volume it is a snap of... but I have neither of those values.
jdw
Technology Partner

Post by jdw »

I came up with a workaround. It's a bit clunky but it works. If there is a way to query the actual snapshot that would be cleaner, but I'm happy with this.

I construct the snapshot name prefix from the job name, which is known. I then use Get-StoragePluginSnapshot to return all snaps that match that name (meaning they were created by some session of that job). Then just compare the snapshot creation time to the job session creation time. If the snapshot is newer, it must have been created by that session (since it's a post-job script).

https://github.com/jdwallace/PureStorag ... VBRJob.ps1