Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Simon_LBC
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Simon C.

Backup & Replication between a VMWare host server and a Hyper-V host server destination?

Post by Simon_LBC »

Hello folks,

I am currently replacing my main production hypervisor server (and storage) for a new model and at the same time, I am building a brand new environment from Hyper-V (2012 R2) to VMWare (latest 7.0). I'll not migrate my VM, I'll start from scratch and only migrate my data later.

Anyway, my question is regarding my actual backup & replication setup with Veeam. At the initial launch on this new main production server I'll still need (obviously) my backup & replication to be safe and effective. My goal is obviously to convert (well re-install) my actual replication server with VMware (same version as the new product), but during the fade out process between the old and new productions server, is it possible to do backup & replication with Veeam between VMWare host and a Hyper-V destination? This would be a temporary solution for a few days/weeks to allow me the time to build my new VMware replication server.

I tried to find this information in the documentation but the documentation are split between Hyper-V and VMWare, not both together...

Thx!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup & Replication between a VMWare host server and a Hyper-V host server destination?

Post by foggy »

Hi Simon, direct replication between different hypervisors is not possible. You can perform backups from VMware hosts to a repository located on the Hyper-V server though, as it is a Windows host basically.
Simon_LBC
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Simon C.

Re: Backup & Replication between a VMWare host server and a Hyper-V host server destination?

Post by Simon_LBC »

Hi Foggy,

Okay, good to know. So in this case one possible option (not the best of course) would be not doing replication for a few days and only backup until the VMWare replication host is ready.

Thanks.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

v11 that is right in front of a release bring you the possibility to Instant Recovery VMware Backups to a Hyper-V host. This makes your solution a ideal DR server situation.