PowerShell script exchange
jdoty
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jeff Doty

Restore-VESQLDatabase taking more than 20 hours

Post by jdoty »

Hi All,

Little issue. I have been putting together a script to restore a SQL DB to one of our test servers so it can be refreshed for the Devs on a regular bases. I got to the point where it runs the Restore-VESQLDatabase command and the command runs and light green banner appeared with information on it. It got to the point of "Calculating required space" and has been there for 20 hours, so I am thinking something is messed up. Running this restore from the console doesn't take nearly this long.

Restore-VESQLDatabase -Database $database -ServerName $TargetSvr -InstanceName $TargetInstName -File $dbfiles -TargetPath $TargetFolders -force -GuestCredentials $Mycred -verbose

$database = <database name>
$TargetSvr = <target server>
$TargetInstName = <instance name>
$dbfiles = Get-VESQLDatabaseFile -Database $database
$TargetFolders = <Array of database files, matching $dbfiles results, but with the paths changed>
$Mycred = <My veeam restore credentials, which has rights to both servers>

I haven't canceled the task yet, because (hope springs eternal) and I was not sure if I would get an error code except to say I canceled the job. The job does show up in the UI history with three messages:
1/27/2021 1:04:30 PM Application item level restore started
1/27/2021 1:05:52 PM Restoring item <database name>... (Type: Database; Source: $SourceSvr\$SourceInstName; Target: $TargetSvr\$TargetInstName)
1/27/2021 1:05:57 PM Mounting restore point

Any assistance would be appreciated.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Restore-VESQLDatabase taking more than 20 hours

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Jeff,

At first sight, it does not seem to be related to PowerShell but to mechanics of the restore process itself. I'd recommend to ask our support engineers to check logs in order to clarify what's going on behind the scenes and to determine the operation which takes most of time. Please don't forget to paste a support case ID for our reference.

Thanks!
jdoty
Novice

Post by jdoty »

Hi PetrM,

Ok, I was afraid of that. I will open a case.

Jeff
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 635 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov » 1 person likes this post

Hi Jeff,

I think, Petr is right. Your script and restore logic looks correct to me, so there isn't much we can do through the forums here.
It might be worth checking the cause of such performance with support engineers, indeed.

Thanks,
Oleg
jdoty
Novice

Post by jdoty » 1 person likes this post

Ok Case opened: Case #04613417