Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
CJD15
Novice
Liked: never

Non-Domain Joined Server

Post by CJD15 »

Hello,

I am aware there is plenty of forum posts regarding non-domain joined Veeam servers however none are relating to Nutanix.

I have a single physical server hosting B&R and the repositories that is non-domain joined. There will then be a non-domain joined Nutanix Cluster used to host our DCs utilizing the AHV Backup Proxy. When I specify the credentials to link to the AHV cluster (which needs Prism Admin or higher), I am struggling to see how that account will have the permissions to back up DCs, SharePoint, SQL Servers ect hosted on the Nutanix cluster?

Is there additional configuration required? I am ideally wanting to go with non-domain joined otherwise we might as well host the Veeam server on Nutanix itself as there would be no need of having a separate physical server.
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 123 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Re: Non-Domain Joined Server

Post by ronnmartin61 »

Short answer is it's backing up the AHV VM's at the block level and doesn't need authentication/authorization at the application level...
CJD15
Novice

Post by CJD15 »

Ok, thank you I understand that part. Does that mean we can't specify Protection groups as Active Directory Objects in Veeam for AHV then?

I have been gathering my information from the AHV User Guide and the Agent Management Guide. The sales person at Veeam also told me I could do Synthetic Full Backups, however from the user guide it looks like this isn't the case with only forward incremental (active full only)?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

There is no synthetic full for vm image level of Nutanix AHV VM Backups. Not yet. I hope, this will be someday possible.

Protection groups are for Veeam Agent Installations.
You can backup a vm on top of Nutanix AHV with Veeam Agent for Windows. This way, you can use Application-aware processing with Veeam. You will need the guest OS credentials and not the Nutanix Credentials.
With Agent Based backups of Nutanix VMs, you can leverage synthentic Full.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
CJD15
Novice

Post by CJD15 »

Excellent, just exactly the information I was after. Thank you for your guidance!