Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
VasyaPetrov
Lurker
Liked: never

Exchange Dag 2016 Active db copy backup

Post by VasyaPetrov »

Hi. We have two Exchange Servers 2016 in dag without ip address(IP Less DAG). Both servers are active.
If you make a backup according to the article https://www.veeam.com/kb2463 , then all databases on the servers (active and passive) are copied. I don't think it's okay and It's long.
Any objections if I back up one virtual machine with active and passive copies of the database?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Exchange Dag 2016 Active db copy backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I moved the post to the Backup & Replication forum, as you mentioned virtual machine. For VMs, agents are not used in Veeam.

Yes, customers do what you suggest. There are several existing discussions search.php?keywords=passive+dag&terms=a ... mit=Search

Restore might be easier if you back up both. But that's your decision.

Best regards,
Hannes
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Exchange Dag 2016 Active db copy backup

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Veeam has always the idea to provide real disaster recovery for any server, even withing clusters.
We do Incremental Forever backups and you can use the same Veeam Job with deduplication enabled to save space if needed.

IP less DAG processing is a bit tricky from agentless guest processing perspective. Please check my blog entry and search for IP less DAG.
https://andyandthevms.com/exchange-dag- ... plication/

It do not matter if Agents or VM backup we always backup the whole server on incremental forever base. Agent have an advantage in case of DB consistency as they only bring the passive DBs in consistency stage. Log Trucation is handeled by the Exchange VSS Writer as needed. We just tell the writer that we have completed backup.