Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

Backup and Backupcopyjob scheduling questions

Post by sandsturm »

Hi

I need to have a monthly backup for a retention of two years with the backupdata on two different repositories, but I'm not able to configure that properly. I tried it the following way:

1. backupjob to Repo1:

Retention policy: 2 restore points
Keep certain full backups longer for archival purposes:
  • Keep monthly full backups for 24 months; use weekly full backup for the following week of month: Last
Advanced settings:
  • Incremental Backup with synthetic full every Friday
Secondary target:
  • backupcopy job (see below)
Schedule:
  • monthly at this time: 19:30 last Friday of every month

2. backup copy job to Repo2:
  • Immediate copy
  • objects to process: Backupjob from above
  • Restore points to keep: 24
  • Schedule: any time

I expect to have on Repo1:
- a vbk file of only last Friday of every month
what I really see on Repo1:
- a vbk file of every Friday of every month

I expect to have on Repo2:
- one vbk and a vib on last Friday of the month
what I really see on Repo2:
- one vbk and a vib of every Friday of every month.

I need to reconfigure something, but don't know what exactly? I don't want to have active fulls instead of synthetic fulls , because I use ReFS for the Repos.
Can someone help me with that?

thx a lot,
sandsturm
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup and Backupcopyjob scheduling questions

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
what I really see on Repo1:
- a vbk file of every Friday of every month
that's because synthetic full is configured for every week.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
Veeam Backup & Replication automatically triggers a backup job session to create a synthetic full backup, even if a regular backup job session is not scheduled on this day
What is the problem with the additional synthetic fulls on repo1? The do not cost you any disk space because you use REFS.

I'm not sure about your backup copy job. If you configure 24 restore points, then there will be one VBK and 23 VIBs over time (assuming no GFS is configured).

Best regards,
Hannes
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi @sandsturm,

speaking of monthly synthetic fulls, please take a look at this discussion, I believe it would help.

Thanks!
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

Thanks for the quick answers

@HannesK, let's say I would continue with the settings for the backup job to have a weekly synthetic full. How do I have to configure the Backupcopy job to have a monthly full for two years there as well?
Can I set restore points to keep to 1 and configure GFS retention to keep 24 monthly with the setting of Last Friday of each month? I'm not sure if I can choose the same day (last friday of the month) for the backup copy job as well and it will work than in the manner that I have at least 24 Monthly backups on each repository (for the backup job and also for the backup copy job?

thx
sandsturm
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
if you are patient, then V11 will bring the same scheduler for backup copy jobs like for backup jobs.

If you want it "now", then I would configure daily backup copy job (I don't like complex schedule thinking and it makes no difference) and configure GFS (24 monthly). That will keep the backups you ask for.

if you click on the "schedule" button, then the software allows to configure "last Friday of the month" if that was the question.

Best regards,
Hannes
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

Hi
Okay, in this case I'll will reconfigure it as soon as V11 is installed in our environment and use a daily backup copy job with 24 monthly for now.

thx a lot
sandsturm
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

Something else looks a bit strange to me. I configured a Backupjob with a single VM and excluded Disks in this backupjob to only have two of the disks backed up (Disk C: and G:) . This works fine, I can see about 800Gb per vbk file on the repository. The backupcopyjob is configured with this backupjob as object to also have only these specific disks (C: and G:) backed up. If I have a look at the repository of the backupcopyjob, I can see that each file consumes about 5TB. These 5TB seems to be the complete VM backup including all disks. So, it looks like the backupcopy job take all disks of this VM (including the excluded disks). If I test a filerestore from this backup copy repository, I can only see the backups for disk C: and G: as expected. But why do I have such a large vbk file on the backupcopy repository?

thx
sandsturm
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

looks strange. support ticked number?
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

I haven't created a support ticket, because I thought it maybe makes sense to discuss here in the forum before that. But I'll create a support ticket if you also mean it's a strange behavior.

thx
sandsturm