Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Rmiranda
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ruben

For removable storage, how is .VIB incremental created when there is an existing but older .vbk full backup file?

Post by Rmiranda »

I create full daily backups to 5 sets of portable hard drives M-F in a rotated drive repository to be used if our online/local backups are compromised.
Due to the snow storm the drive was not rotated and a .VIB file was created (incremental).
Wit rotated media how does Veeam determine which data is incremental data to create the .VIB file?
Does it scan the full backup file on the rotated drive? and compare it to the changed data on my servers?
or does it look at my online backups and base the .vib off those? I read the link below on rotated drives but I am still not sure.
I am concerned that if my online backups are compromised that my .vib file on rotated drives won't be usable.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: For removable storage, how is .VIB incremental created when there is an existing but older .vbk full backup file?

Post by foggy »

Hi Ruben, nothing to worry about, incremental backup is based on the existing full. Thanks!
Rmiranda
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ruben

Re: For removable storage, how is .VIB incremental created when there is an existing but older .vbk full backup file?

Post by Rmiranda »

Hi, which existing full? the one on the target backup repository? in my case the removable drive.
If I have 2 repositories, one to as NAS and other removable and both have full backups, does veeam create the .vib based on the last full to the removable?
I have to be able to do a full restore with only the removable in the event our backups are erased.

thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Ruben,

An incremental restore point contains data that has been changed or created since the previous backup activity was performed. The list of changed blocks is retrieved using changed block tracking and this logic does not depend on repository type, it works in the same way with all repositories. The only specific of rotated media is that Veeam will trigger a new full if a previous piece of chain whether full or incremental is missing.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Rmiranda wrote: Feb 02, 2021 8:47 pm Hi, which existing full? the one on the target backup repository? in my case the removable drive.
Correct.