Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mike.anderson
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Michael anderson

How to Encode a Password for Use with Veeam Configurator?

Post by mike.anderson »

Hi,

I am trying to create a usable XML file using the Veeam Configurator, as detailed here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=40

I'm trying to send the backup to a Veeam Cloud Connect repository, but it keeps existing with Error Code 50 saying it cannot contact the cloud connect provider. A powershell test-netconnection proves it's not the machine or the firewall etc.

It's also not working for me even if I use the U: and P: toggles when deploying the configuration. I suspect that really it requires you to add the password for the Veeam Cloud Connect account in an encrypted Base64 as per this: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... r=40#input (I suspect there's no way around this).

However, no explanation whatsoever is given on how to perform these steps:
To encrypt user credentials, you must perform the following actions:

Encrypt the password. The user name is not encrypted; you must provide it as a text string encoded in the Base64 format.
You must encrypt the user password in the following way:

Encode the password as a byte array in the UTF-8 format.
Encrypt the byte array with one of supported encryption methods.
Convert the encrypted byte array to the Base64 format.
I can google as well as the next tech, but when all it returns is from StackOverflow and Java forums then I begin to think I'll have to write some sort of Java scriptlet just to accomplish this. To be honest that is outside of my skillset, and I have to imagine it's outside the skillset of most Veeam techs. I'm happy to learn stuff, but if it's that complicated why not offer a page that does this for your customers? Or a script? We see in the Windows Agent support pages there's no issue offering a powershell script to people.

Forgive me if there are other posts that address this, I did search for them and found one, but the solution is never offered: veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/encrypted-c ... 43081.html

Thanks,
Mike
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6691 times

Re: How to Encode a Password for Use with Veeam Configurator?

Post by Gostev »

Hi Michael, from your email address it sounds like you're not an end user, but a service provider. If this is the case, why are you trying to configure the agent this way, as opposed to just using the Veeam Service Provider Console to deploy and configure agents for backup into a Veeam Cloud Connect repository?

As for your question, I will leave it for VAW PM to comment.

Thanks!
mike.anderson
Service Provider

Post by mike.anderson »

Hi Gostev,

It's a fair question, I do agree it would work better than trying to use the configurator, but the requested solution in this case was to use the configurator. However, I am struggling with how to encrypt the key. I can also open a ticket with support if that's the better approach.

Thanks,
Mike
mike.anderson
Service Provider

Post by mike.anderson » 2 people like this post

Okay, I finally figured it out in PowerShell* this should output the correct password as per the above parameters in base64.

$enc = [system.Text.Encoding]::UTF8
$string1 = "Your Secret Text"
$data1 = $enc.GetBytes($string1)
$EncodedText = [System.Convert]::ToBase64String($data1)
$EncodedText

*Pieced together from different sites and things I was able to gather.

Hope this helps other people!