Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
mikeely
Expert
Liked: 69 times
Full Name: Mike Ely

B2 SOBR offload setting immutability well beyond its configuration

Post by mikeely »

I'm testing offload to backblaze and have failed on retention - in my test job I configured the backblaze repo "Make backups immutable for 3 days" to rapidly test retention. This morning I went into Home/Backups/Disk on the Veeam console and went to delete one of the backup files, which should have failed regardless but the error I got tells me the retention is set to a value other than 3 days:

Code: Select all

Error    [name-of-vm] Failed to delete backup Error: Unable to delete the backup because it is marked as immutable until 14 February 2021 17:32:17.
That's a lot longer than 3 days. What gives?
'If you truly love Veeam, then you should not let us do this :D' --Gostev, in a particularly Blazing Saddles moment
sfirmes
Veeam Software
Liked: 122 times
Full Name: Stephen Firmes

Re: B2 SOBR offload setting immutability well beyond its configuration

Post by sfirmes » 1 person likes this post

@mikeely what you are seeing is the Block Generation which added 10 days to the object's lock date.
Our HelpCenter explains this process in greater detail: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
Senior Solutions Architect, Product Management - Alliances @ Veeam Software
mikeely
Expert
Liked: 69 times
Full Name: Mike Ely

Re: B2 SOBR offload setting immutability well beyond its configuration

Post by mikeely »

Thanks @sfirmes - that's the deal then.

From curiosity, what happens if I set retention in the backup job to a value less than the added immutability value? Will it error and quit or does it retry every day until it can expire the files, or...?
'If you truly love Veeam, then you should not let us do this :D' --Gostev, in a particularly Blazing Saddles moment