Agentless, cloud-native backup for Amazon Web Services (AWS)
collinp
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Collin P

Future Feature

Post by collinp »

I have some product questions.

Will this product evolve where you will not need to go to, or get redirected to, a web portal? For instance manipulating the Backup Policies or adding VM's to the policy. And is this why the backup appliance is necessary? If you have a dozen subscriptions, it gets expensive to run all those backup appliances, even when automating them to power down. Will the product require a backup appliance per subscription in the future?

Thank you!
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Future Feature

Post by nielsengelen » 1 person likes this post

We do not require an appliance per subscription. You can add IAM roles from different AWS accounts and manage it all in 1 appliance. Using multiple is possible but not required (unless u have some legal reasons within your company). For more information, see the user guide.

VB for AWS is a full web based solution so I presume you are talking about Veeam Backup & Replication? Could you clarify which wizards you are talking about which you’d like to see in VBR as well?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
collinp
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Collin P

Post by collinp »

This is encouraging that only a single Backup Appliance is needed across multiple AWS accounts.

It would be nice if our Backup Administrators could stay in the Veeam Backup and Replication Console to manage backups, and never have to leave it. So one single pane of glass which would be the Veeam Backup and Replication Console for physical, vmware, hyperv, aws, azure.

I could be confused about the product offerings. Within the Veeam Backup and Replication Console, under Backup Infrastructure, I created a new AWS Backup Appliance. From the Veeam Backup and Replication Console, under Jobs, I can see my AWS EC2 Backup Policy. So there is at least some integration of AWS Backups in the Veeam Backup and Replication Console.

I'm curious what the reasoning would be for developing new products outside of the Veeam Backup Console? It would be a lot easier to manage everything there.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Small companies who went 100% AWS-only don't need the depth and breath of an enterprise datacenter backup solution that is Veeam Backup & Replication. They are looking for a simple, point solution. If we don't provide one, we will never get a mind share of AWS admins. Meaning, we will be missing the primary factor of our success in every market: tons of great feedback from passionate, knowledgeable users!

Just remember how our agent-based backups started 5+ years ago from Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE, which was completely standalone and unintegrated solution at the time ;) same reason.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

Correct, if you use VBR it will deploy Veeam Backup for AWS for you compared to going to the marketplace and doing it from there.

We offer it as a complete solution where VBR is the main central point but for those who don’t have VBR, the standalone option is possible as well.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

Post by lando_uk »

In this hybrid world, I think the next step would be to create a VBR appliance deployable from the Marketplace that has this AWS functionality built in, plus all the traditional VBR functionality so it can connect back and manage on-prem components.

Just like vcenter did years ago, having the option of not having to use a Windows server, with all those support hassles, odd configurations, windows security flaws etc etc , would be a nice option.