Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Where is the bottleneck?

Post by unsichtbarre »

Case #04622374

I am struggling with Backup Copy jobs to an offsite Cloud provider running very slowly. Veeam says the bottleneck is source but I don't see how that can be.

Source is SSD (vSAN, generally very fast) repository with 40Gbe LAN and there are no running incremental backup jobs to that repository while Backup Copy is running. Destination is an iSCSI LUN by a Cloud provider about 500 miles distant. The iSCSI LUN is
mounted directly to the Veeam server with the Microsoft iSCSI Initiator and connects over the WAN (we have 10Gbe WAN - not sure what Cloud provider has). The iSCSI LUN is browsable normally by Windows and does not seem to drop or disconnect.

The best performance I have seen is about 23Mbps transfer, and even at that, there are pointy spikes of transfer and then long periods of nothing. Why does Veeam say Source is the bottleneck?
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Where is the bottleneck?

Post by Gostev »

Veeam will say Source is the bottleneck in case when the Backup Copy job spends most of the time waiting for the storage device behind the source backup repository to return the requested data.