Management reporting and documentation
pietto
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Pietto Vasco

VM Utilization report

Post by pietto »

I am new to veamm but not new to vmware. I recently came aboard to a Vmware 4 environment, that is experiencing serious server sprawl. In an attempt to consolidate VMs and lower our backup and storage costs I am looking for a report that gives me VM utilization and allocated storage

thanks
Pietto
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VM Utilization report

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Pietto,

Try to check out our Inactive VMs report (Included to Get To Know Reporter report pack). Also you may want to look at Over-Provisioned Storage report which is the part of Capacity Planning report pack.

As regards VM utilization information, you should take a look at VM Performance report to see if that suits your needs.

Thank you.
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley »

Pietto,

I'm a little late replying, but better late than never.

A suggested "VM Rightsizing Report". Although it's not a perfect report it can quickly show you info that you can use to i.d. vms that need to be upsized or downsized. to create the Report use:

Base Report Pack >Object type Virtual Machine.

For the columns I use Name, Runtime info: Boot time, vCPU count, Runtime info: max cpu usage, Memory: Amount (MB), Runtime info: max mem usage, Partition: Name, Capacity total, Free space.

The idea of the report is that i can see what VMs haven't been used in a while and are even powered off, compare the provisioned cpus and amount of mem to the actual max usage values, and see if the disk space allocated is enough or too much.
flan5ter
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Flan5ter

Post by flan5ter »

I found this not to work. The Memory amount for every vm was equal to the max memory usage. Only vms that where powered off showed a different value which was 0. This is such a fundamental report to have in your arsenal. Have you released report pack updates since the product release. I am trailing this product and have found the built in reports a bit limiting.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Andy,

We have completely revamped all our report packs and scheduled a new release of Veeam Reporter 6 (part of Veeam ONE) for Q1 next year. I agree that this is a fundamental report to have, so we've implemented a dedicated report pack helps you to evaluate the effectiveness of current resource usage and optimize it based on the recommendations provided.

By the way is there anything else you would like to see as a canned report?

Thank you.