Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gmorris
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Glen Morris

Using Transform previous full backup chains into rollbacks

Post by gmorris »

I have been using the following setting [Transform previous full backup chains into rollbacks] as we are using Incremental running synthetic fulls weekly, we are doing this because we are backing up to tape for DR. This process takes a very long time on backups with a lot of change data and I was wondering the draw backs of not using this setting. Currently the fulls are VBK files and the incrementals are VIB files, after the transforming the VIB files become VRB files. I nomally do not have to restore backup files from tape but when I do the full does the job. If say I needed to restore a file from mid week and I did not transform the files do I need all the VIB files or just the VBK and a VIM file? Even then if the synthentic full runs on the weekend all the changes should be in the VBK file anyways so the full should have all the changes from the week in one file or am I wrong about this?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Using Transform previous full backup chains into rollbac

Post by foggy »

Without transform, to restore to the middle of the week you need the VBK file which is previous to the day you want to restore to as well as all the VIB files until that day. Having just the VBK file, you will be able to restore to the day when it was created only.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

In addition to the comments by foggy, the biggest draw back is that it will require more available disk space, probably significantly more. How much is based on how often you run a full backup, and how many days/weeks of data you want to keep, but at a minimum you'll need at least twice the disk space because, when you create the new synthetic full, you'll have to have enough room to keep the original full, all incrementals, and the synthetic full at the same time.
gmorris
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Glen Morris

Post by gmorris »

Great thanks for the info.