Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Symjett
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Simon Johansson

VMware Tools Quiescence & Pre-Freeze/Post-Thaw scripts

Post by Symjett »

Hi

I was reading about Guest Processing but there is one thing that boggles my mind.

Application Aware Processing is pretty straight forward. But when it comes to VMware Tools Quiescence and pre/post scripts I don't really get it.
VMware Tools Quiescence freezes the VMs to bring them to a consistent state. But pre/post scripts does something similar from what I'm reading. Pre scripts freezes the VM aswell.

Does both VMware Tools Quiescence and pre/post scripts have to be used for it to create transactionally consistent backups? Can you just use one of the two options?

Best regards, Simon
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: VMware Tools Quiescence & Pre-Freeze/Post-Thaw scripts

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Simon,

The pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts are aimed to bring application data to a consistent state prior snapshot creation while the VMware Tools Quiescence prepares OS and the file system for snapshot. The scripts are usually required by specific applications, for example you can take a look at these scripts for snapshot based SAP HANA backups, perhaps it might give you a better idea.

Thanks!
Symjett
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Simon Johansson

Re: VMware Tools Quiescence & Pre-Freeze/Post-Thaw scripts

Post by Symjett » 1 person likes this post

Hi Petr

Thank you, now I get the difference!

/ Simon