Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Domino5
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Bare metal volume level restore

Post by Domino5 »

Hi,

I have SERVER1 (which is a VM) at SITE1 which has a Backup Copy Job running to SITE2. I am testing a Bare Metal Restore at SITE2 having created the VM (HyperV) first, then mounted and booted to the Veeam Recovery Media. When I get to the Network Storage part of the wizard, if I select Shared Folder I can browse to the folder of the replicated data but nothing is in it. When I select Veeam Backup Repository and connect to my VBR (which is as SITE1) I see other backup jobs but not the Backup Copy Job that I am trying to restore. If SITE1 burned to the ground and all I had was a HyperV host at SITE2 how do I recover the VM?

I can access the shared folder on the NAS and there is Veeam backup data in there.

Kind regards,
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Bare metal volume level restore

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Domino5,
When I get to the Network Storage part of the wizard, if I select Shared Folder I can browse to the folder of the replicated data but nothing is in it. When I select Veeam Backup Repository and connect to my VBR (which is as SITE1) I see other backup jobs but not the Backup Copy Job that I am trying to restore.
When you select Veeam B&R repository what account you use to access it? In order to list all the backups you need to connect via Veeam B&R administrator account.
When I get to the Network Storage part of the wizard, if I select Shared Folder I can browse to the folder of the replicated data but nothing is in it.
For backup copy backup you must have Veeam B&R server running, otherwise its no possible to grant the permissions correctly for some specific machine in the backup file produced by backup copy job.
have SERVER1 (which is a VM) at SITE1 which has a Backup Copy Job running to SITE2. I am testing a Bare Metal Restore at SITE2 having created the VM (HyperV) first
Out of curiosity, why you are using agents to protect VMs? Thanks!
Domino5
Influencer

Post by Domino5 »

Hi Dima,
1. I'm connecting the VBR server (while in the restore wizard) as the same account that VBR is installed with. I can see the other jobs, but not the server I am trying to restore, nor can I see its Backup Copy job. Why is that?
2. If I am understanding you correctly, to restore data from a Backup Copy Job it has to be done from the Backup Respoitory via the BDR? If the BDR is unavailable or I don't have a backup of its configuration then that backup data is useless to me?
3. I'm not, the agents are protected as VMs, but I am trying to restore a protected VM, having its Copy Job data sent to another site, with the Recovery Media in case my BDR is ever fu-bar.

Kind regards,
Domino5
Influencer

Post by Domino5 »

Hi Dima,

So am I right isin saying that if I am backing up a VM, I cannot restore it to a physical host as it is using HyperV snapshots? If I am backing up a physical host with an agent I can only restore to a physical host and not a VM?

Kind regards,
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Domino5,

Sorry for the delay. Correct, it's not possible to restore backups files created by vm backup jobs to a physical machine via bare metal recovery. However if the backup was made via agent you can restore it to a VM via instant recovery or you can mount Veeam Recovery Media iso to a blank VM and perform regular Bare Metal Recovery. Cheers!
Domino5
Influencer

Post by Domino5 »

Thanks Dima, got it. I did a bare metal restore from an Agent into a VM this morning. Thanks!