Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
artiman
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Andres Martinez

Migration Strategy from VBR 9.5 to 10.0 and Current Backups in Azure

Post by artiman »

Hi folks, I hope everybody is safe and healthy in these challenging times.

I'm working on the plan to migrate a Veeam B&R environment from 9.5U4 to 10.0 (latest realease) and I'd like to get your valuable input to verify if I can accomplish the following:

The current environment in 9.5U4 have Backup Copy Jobs with GFS enabled

SO-01 is the SOBR backup repository for the main backup jobs (the SOBR point to two NAS)
SO-02 is the SOBR backup repository for the backup copy jobs (the SOBR is a local NAS + Azure blob storage)

We want to get rid completely of the Backup Copy Jobs, migrate the GFS feature to the Main Job and activate the SOBR setting to start the copy to Azure as soon as the main job finish. Is there a way to accomplish this without the need to perform a upload of the full backups again to Azure?(it takes forever due our bandwidth restrictions)
In other words, is it possible somehow to map the the backups already stored in Azure to SO-01 and make them usable by the main backup jobs?. I was thinking about adding the current capacity tier in SO-02 to SO-01 after the upgrade is completed but not sure if a rescan will map the jobs or I have to do something else

thanks in advance

Andy
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Migration Strategy from VBR 9.5 to 10.0 and Current Backups in Azure

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Short answer: no.

You cannot map different kinds of jobs somehow into each other.

Best regards,
Hannes
artiman
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Andres Martinez

Post by artiman »

Thanks Hannes! This is going to be painful 🙄 I'm sure I'm not the first one that I have had this situation going on. Is there any reference to this in the official documentation?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the official documentation is available in helpcenter.veeam.com

The documentation focusses on things that are possible. Things that do not work are usually not documented. That's because there are always corner cases a documentation team cannot imagine.

Backup jobs and backup copy jobs work differently. For example a backup copy job can have multiple backup jobs as source. So it is impossible to map one backup job to a backup copy job that had for example 5 backup jobs as source.

Best regards,
Hannes