Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Dalius
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dalius Juronis

possible resolution (one of) for "Unable to hot add source disk, failing over to network mode'

Post by Dalius »

Not sure if this somewhere pointed at, but if you have "Unable to hot add source disk, failing over to network mode" error on backup or replication - check whether credendials used to access vCenter server are in domain\username format or username@domain format. In my case it was in user@domain format and all features of Veem B&R worked correctly with the exception of aforementioned error on backup and replication jobs.
It's not clear to me if it's a Veem or VMware limitation.
But I'm sure this should be included in https://www.veeam.com/kb1054
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: possible resolution (one of) for "Unable to hot add source disk, failing over to network mode'

Post by PetrM »

Hi Dalius,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us! However, this tip is provided in this step of the wizard in which you add vSphere server into backup infrastructure: "Use DOMAIN\USER format for domain accounts, or HOST\USER for local accounts".

Thanks!
Dalius
Novice

Re: possible resolution (one of) for "Unable to hot add source disk, failing over to network mode'

Post by Dalius »

Hi Petr,
You're right, but don't you think that all obvious solutions should be in one place for a particular trouble?
In my case this credential was set almost two years ago(as shown in Veeam credentials list) and survived unnoticed several major Veeam version upgrades.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hi Dalius,

I absolutely agree but the mentioned KB provides the list of most frequent known issues with HotAdd. I cannot say that we have many similar requests so far but I'll keep your idea in mind anyway. Although, we will add a corresponding note on our help center.

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

@Dalius I was working on documentation improvements but it turned out that user@domain username format can be safely used to add a vSphere host into Backup Infrastructure and no issues with HotAdd are expected. You may ask our support engineers to research the issue if the usage of the mentioned username format is still actual for you. Please don't forget to share the support case ID.

Thanks!
Dalius
Novice

Post by Dalius » 1 person likes this post

@PetrM I discovered this accidentally: before writing to Veeam Support I looked inside log files for errors and discovered access permission errors for every vm.

I noticed a rather strange account format someuser@somedomain and decided to test, whether somedomain\someuser would solve my problems. And it did.
And then I wrote this post in forums.
Maybe my conclusion was wrong, but it helped in my case at least.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Thanks for the provided information! I edited your post because we try to avoid pasting log snippets on forum. Our QC cannot reproduce the same behavior so I'd suggest to let our support team to look for the possible reasons if there is a need to use "someuser@somedomain" username format to add a vSphere host into Backup Infrastructure.

Thanks!