Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
timofcourse
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim Graffam

Okay to install Ent. Mgr, Search Serv on Backup Serv?

Post by timofcourse »

Just recently purchased Backup and Replication 5 and have completed the installation of the B&R software on my Windows 2008 server. My question is if there is any reason that the Enterprise Manager and Search Server shouldn't be installed on the same server as the B&R software. We'd like to keep the footprint as small as possible and easiest to manage.

Not sure if it matters, but we're using this for a pretty basic setup that will only be doing backups of about 15 VMs to disk. We dont plan to use the replication functionality at all.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Okay to install Ent. Mgr, Search Serv on Backup Serv?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Tim,

I would say this is not recommended if your Veeam Backup server hardware is fairly weak. Catalog crawl might be quite resource intensive task that can consume significant chunks of server CPU, thus affecting backup performance, but since you're only going backup 15 VMs it should be fine to use a deployment scenario like yours. Moreover, please be aware that Microsoft Search Server becomes optional in Veeam B&R v6, so this makes your deployment even more lightweight.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, they won't even need Search Server with v6 with their 15 VMs - so just tell them to wait a few days, and deploy v6 instead ;)
timofcourse
Enthusiast

Post by timofcourse »

That was my next question actually... I dont want to get this thread too off topic, but I know v6 is coming out "soon". I've searched around the forums and havent seen a mention of a specific date, but if its really just within a few days, Ill definitely just hang tight until then rather than having to do all of this twice.

Thanks again guys.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Guess you missed the weekly forum digest email from Sunday ;)
timofcourse
Enthusiast

Post by timofcourse »

Well I just joined the forum today, so yes, I definitely didn't receive any previous forum notifications. Is there a thread that mentions the expected release date you could point me to?

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Ah, then welcome to the forums :D it will be generally available later this week!