Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
virtualdon
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Danh Duong

Feature Request : Disable access check when creating SMB shares in Inventory

Post by virtualdon »

I have been testing the NAS backup features of Veeam v10.0.1.4854 P20201202 on my NetApp filers and have come across some less than ideal behavior.

I am using an AD account that is a member of the NetApp BUILTIN\backup operators group for my SMB backups as the role allows me to ignore file ACL's when backing up or restoring files.
I'm doing this because sometimes, we get clients disabling permissions inheritance, which would normally prevent those folders and files from being backed up.

Part of the validation of new SMB file shares is an access check with the supplied AD account. I've found that the access check only needs read permissions at the root of the share.
Without that read permission, the file share object creation fails with:

"Access is denied --tr:Error code: 0x00000005"

I've tried using powershell to add the SMB share w/ credentials and get the same error if the "read" permission is not there.

Now I could request that my dozens of clients update their root level ACL, but it would be quite a hassle. The actual backup process does not need the read permission. It completely ignores the ACL.

Would it be possible to add a checkbox in the GUI to not perform that access check or even an argument in powershell that would do the same?

Thanks,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: Feature Request : Disable access check when creating SMB shares in Inventory

Post by Gostev »

v11 includes native integration with ONTAP-based filers, so you won't need to register them using actual SMB shares at all. This should solve your issue. Thanks!
virtualdon
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Danh Duong

Re: Feature Request : Disable access check when creating SMB shares in Inventory

Post by virtualdon »

Hello Gostev,

That is great to hear! I will definitely put this new functionality to the test.