Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
acidtech
Novice
Liked: never

question about Bare Metal Recovery

Post by acidtech »

Hello,

I have a question about Bare Metal Recovery with a Veeam Backup & Replication installation.

I set up a Veeam Backup & Replication in a physical server. This server have an Hyper-V VM. My 2 physical computer are saved with Veeam Backup & Replication too (in agent mode i think...). All of my backup are saved in a NAS server. My question is : If my physical server can't boot anymore, can i restore my Hyper-V VM in an another computer ?

I create an Hyper-V VM in one of my physical computer, i boot in an Veeam Recovery Media ISO, when i want to restore my VM, i only see my 2 backup of the 2 physical computer.

It's not possible to restore a backup of an Veeam Backup & Recovery without the server ?

Thanks for your help.
Best regards
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: question about Bare Metal Recovery

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

To restore a Hyper-V VM from image level backup you need a Hyper-V host and a running Veeam Backup and Replication server or simplified path using Veeam Extract Utility.
In your case, if HostA dies alongside VBR installed on it, feel free to install Veeam Backup and Replication on any other machine(HostB?) and use it to restore from VM backups created originally. You don't need to run Veeam Recovery Media to restore VM backup to a Hyper-V VM.
/Cheers!
acidtech
Novice

Post by acidtech »

Thanks for your help.

I have restored my VM in my computer. I have a .vhdx file, a .xml and 2 other file. When i want to import my VM to Hyper-V, he doesn't found my VM... I have tried with the Hyper-V GUI and with Powershell, but i can't import my VM....

The error with Powershell : Unable to read the configuration of the virtual machine...
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Make sure target Hyper-V is capable of importing VM configuration from original Hyper-V host by version. For example if you backed up Windows Server 2019 Gen2 VM and trying to import is back to a Win7 laptop with Hyper-V role that will not work...
You can always manually create a new VM and select "add existing disk" in the process, pointing to said vhdx. That will ignore existing VM configuration file...
acidtech
Novice

Post by acidtech »

I successfully import my VM ! My mistake is that i create a Gen2 VM... With a Gen1 VM, i attached the vhdx, and it's work ! :)

Thank you
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Thanks for update, glad it sorted out!
/Cheers!