Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Tape GFS question

Post by karsten123 »

Hi everybody,
tape GFS is driving me crazy and i think i miss something.
i have a small environment with a tape library with 8 slots LTO 8 ( HPE 1/8). Veeam Server is running 10a.
I have set up a GFS Pool with dynamically pool assignment from free, 7 daily, 4 weekly (saturday) and 12 monthly (saturday). For the daily mediaset, append tape is deactivated to get one tape a day. Tape job source is repository.
It is tight, but it has to be just fine, if the weekly/ monthly tape will be changed on monday.
Am i right? Is the GFS pool going to grap expired tapes from different mediaset to write for another mediaset?
What is the best time to start scanning GFS, if the backup jobs to disk are going to start at 9pm? 9pm? Or 00:00?
Thank you very much, boys an girls
Karsten
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Tape GFS question

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, expired media will be re-used. Otherwise one would need an endless amount of tapes.

I would start the GFS tape job at 9pm or even before 9pm because the tape job will wait for new restore points anyway.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
[...] If the source job starts during the day, the GFS job waits till the source job finishes and copies the created backup to tapes.[...]
Best regards,
Hannes
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Post by lyapkost »

Hi Karsten.

Generally you're right. But there are some details depending on your source job chain (forward/forever incremental or reverse).
karsten123 wrote: Feb 09, 2021 9:09 pmIs the GFS pool going to grap expired tapes from different mediaset to write for another mediaset?
No, it is not. Tapes from one mediaset are not to be taken to another mediaset unless they were manually placed there. Expired daily tapes might be overwritten only in daily mediaset, monthly - in monthly one etc.

As for the start time - generally it doesn't matter.
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Post by karsten123 »

Hi Konstantin,
thank you very much.
The fact with the mediasets was the culprint for me. Although it makes no sense to me, it is good to know.
So with up to 8 slots and daily new tapes, GFS is not smoothly possible. For this setup i am going to change to append tape.
Geets
Karsten