Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
crackocain
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Mehmet Istanbullu

Feature Request: Guest Needed Memory

Post by crackocain »

Hello

Memory values in Veeam ONE are not the same as the values in the virtual machine. But having this metric in Vrealize works very well and meets the demands of customers. Is there any work on adding this feature?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Feature Request: Guest Needed Memory

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Veeam ONE uses the values that vSphere reports. From a hardware perspective they are the "real" ones.

What is better with the "inside VM" values?

To answer you question: no short term plans on changes. Veeam ONE's main purpose is monitoring& reporting of Veeam Backup & Replication. Veeam ONE does not compete with vRealize product lines.

Best regards,
Hannes
crackocain
Service Provider

Post by crackocain »

I was of the same opinion. Although the software team requested a ram increase in one of our customers, we did not increase it by looking at these reports. When there was a problem, we increased it and the problem was resolved. This problem is only related to memory. Cpu metric works perfectly. I think the vrealize vmware memory metric was insufficient, so it started getting this data from the Guest. I installed vrealize for testing and saw that it makes suggestions based on this value in the memory rightsizing part. That's why I think this feature is a big deficiency in Veeam ONE.
crackocain
Service Provider

Post by crackocain »

To be more precise, if Vmware Tools is installed, the memory metric is taken directly from the guest.
There are some situations where the guest memory metrics can’t make it to vRealize Operations such as VMware Tools not being installed, running an unsupported version, etc. Knowing that the data may not always be available, Consumed Memory is used for failback. Consumed Memory was selected as the failback metric because, as shown above, it’s more conservative than Active Memory. The primary metrics affected by these changes are Memory|Usage (%) and Memory|Utilization (KB).

Typically, you would see that Guest|Needed Memory (KB) and Memory|Utilization (KB) are nearly identical (unless there is an issue collecting the metric from VMware Tools). If there is an issue collecting Guest|Needed Memory (KB), you will see that it correlates with Memory|Consumed (KB) instead.

Memory|Utilization (KB) is the metric used by the capacity engine and therefore rightsizing recommendations. As you can see, it’s advantageous to ensure that Guest|Needed Memory (KB) is collecting from VMware Tools to get the best quality recommendations.

https://blogs.vmware.com/management/201 ... tions.html
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Mehmet,

Thanks for the detailed request. It's noted.
crackocain
Service Provider

Post by crackocain »

Hello Team

After this discussion two of my clients decide to not buy Veeam ONE only because of this feature. (+24 CPU) Sales team can contact me and customer and i will provide details for this subject.

They want to rightsize virtual machine and they have to analyze guest needed memory metrics. When i talk to customer they don't want to use another tool for analyze memory pressure. Also they don't want to install any agents in virtual machines. So collecting this info via vmware tools very good solution.

Memory is expensive so customers pay attention this subject. If the same situation were with disk, maybe their selection would not be so sharp.

Can VeeamONE collects this data from Vmware Tools? I want to ask this limitation is Vmware related or Veeam related? Is Vmware Tools API provide and share this details 3rd party vendors?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Mehmet,

Yet again, thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately, I cannot provide any details as we have not performed any research on this topic yet, but we'll get back to it in the future.

Thanks