Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
NMP
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Noor

tape erase for new tape.

Post by NMP »

hi,

For a new tape, is it necessary to erase the tape. sometimes if job is already running and waiting for new tape. do i need to erase first the use. or it will take it once moved to free pool.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: tape erase for new tape.

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

No, there is no necessity to erase a new tape. You should erase tapes to remove the sensitive from information from it.

You can add a new tape in this step of media pool creation wizard or you can select the corresponding checkbox to add tapes from Free media pool automatically.

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

For a new tape, is it necessary to erase the tape. sometimes if job is already running and waiting for new tape. do i need to erase first the use. or it will take it once moved to free pool.
Actually, after the first import tape media goes to Unrecognized media pool and since we do not know what's on it we wont automatically use it. Indeed, it's not required to erase the tape, but you can either catalog it or move it to the desired media pool manually (then such tape will be marked as free as we can start using it). Cheers!
vageek
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Brent Fugett

Post by vageek »

This is good information, thanks much! I'm trying to set this up so the backup operators can just load the tape they want for the week and Veeam will gladly accept and use it without manual intervention. Is there a way to automatically put new media in the desired pool or automatically catalog the media? Otherwise it sounds like we need to sit down and load and register each tape we plan to use. Thanks in advance!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Brent,
Is there a way to automatically put new media in the desired pool or automatically catalog the media?
Brand new media should be added manually, but you can assign the list of tapes to the media pool to let media pool overwrite and use those tapes whenever required.
I'm trying to set this up so the backup operators can just load the tape they want for the week and Veeam will gladly accept and use it without manual intervention
There is a dedicated tape operator role which allows manage tapes and perform the following operations: tape inventory, tape export, tape eject, tape catalog, inventory library, catalog library, rescan library, import tapes, eject tape from drive.