Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
astoinemicro
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: morad astoine

Can i pause a veeam backup and resume it later

Post by astoinemicro »

Hi
I am doing a backup job for a VM , unfortunatley i takes more than a day to complete , mean while the users experienced some slow network traffic , and i was forced to stop the backup after 91% achievement , i was thinking is there a option in Veeam where i can pause the backup and resume it later ?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Can i pause a veeam backup and resume it later

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi, Morad.

No, you cannot pause\resume backup.
Check Veeam Job for bottleneck statistics and\or try switching transport mode to improve backup performance and have faster backup.

/Cheers!
Sam.Sutcliffe
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sam Sutcliffe

Post by Sam.Sutcliffe »

Hi,

We're looking at the ability to pause a 'VM restore' - the only options currently are 'Statistics / Stop Job'. Is there anyway to pause a job currently (hidden from the gui / through CLI)? If not, is it possible to put in a feature request for this.

Cheers!
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 322 times

Post by david.domask »

Hi Sam, welcome to the forums.

At this time, no such feature for restores or for backups.

May I ask, what's the use-case on pausing the restore in your situation? Is it that restores may take longer and impact normal production traffic or is there some other use-case you're working with?
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
Sam.Sutcliffe
Novice

Post by Sam.Sutcliffe »

Hi David,

This is for when we are performing a "cold DR test" where we would mount a repo and then perform restores into our DC.

For example we could have four 5TB servers running at once and all contending for resource, it would be helpful to pause a restore and let the others finish and then resume to prevent contention. Obviously the only way to currently do this is to stop the job completely and then restart (potentially losing time).

Cheers,
Sam
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 322 times

Post by david.domask »

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the explanation; if it's for DR testing, would SureBackup jobs or perhaps On-Demand Sandboxes maybe help for your DR testing and your need? These will utilize Instant Recovery and run the VMs from the backup files themselves, and you should be able to do your testing then and not need to worry really about the contention. The VMs can be started/stopped in the On-Demand Sandbox if resources are a concern.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
Sam.Sutcliffe
Novice

Post by Sam.Sutcliffe » 1 person likes this post

Hi David,

We are a SP for multiple clients and don't have the ability to do this which is why we have to mount a repo into our DR site rather than use the methods you have suggested.

Cheers