Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
theviking84
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: David Dunworthy

Migration and update at same time situation

Post by theviking84 »

We have a 4.0.0.1553 installation and it is installed alongside same server as veeam b&r. I received notice of the retention issue and that we need to update to version 5.

So, I first try to do this but it tells me that I would need to update veeam b&r to 10 or later if I want it on the same server.

I am also side by side standing up a new veeam environment so I would rather leave the existing one at 9.5 for now.

So, I thought of moving the veeam backup for o365 to a new windows server vm. My questions/problems are... If I install it fresh on the new vm, I can somehow import the configuration over from the old one? The storage will be staying for now and hosted off same windows managed server. Is that fine to just re add that server as repo and proxy and keep going from the existing backup data?

I know a lot changed in version 5 as far as configuration and setup, so I'm not sure how to really do this and keep everything intact when I set it up new.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 704 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Migration and update at same time situation

Post by Polina »

Hi David,

First, check out this KB on VBO migration steps: https://www.veeam.com/kb2649, might be helpful.

Next, the VBO configuration is stored in the \ProgramData\Veeam\Backup365\ConfigDb and technically it could be copied to your new installation, but this is not recommended. Potentially such copy-pasting can end up in conflicts. The safe option would be to reconfigure the settings and jobs manually.

Re-adding existing repositories is perfectly possible and older restore points will be preserved. VBO will reuse existing backups and keep going from them. However, note that older restore points will be available on the organization level, not on the job level.

Thanks!
theviking84
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: David Dunworthy

Re: Migration and update at same time situation

Post by theviking84 »

Awesome, I will just set up a fresh vbo365 on a new vm and attach the repo from the older version. Thank you!