Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cdickerson
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Craig Dickerson

Repository Veeam Agent

Post by cdickerson »

So I was browsing the v6 User Guide, I was hoping to get some more info on the "efficient data transfer" feature of using the Veeam agent at the repository side. Right now I am using a Synology NAS that acts like a CIFS share for my target. What does the agent actually do to improve the data transfer? In my environment this NAS is connected via a 1GB connection. Trying to determine if if would be beneficial to put the Synology behind a Windows server and take advantage of the Veeam Agent or just keep it the current way. Thanks

-Craig
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Repository Veeam Agent

Post by tsightler »

If all of your backups are across a local network, there will be virtually no advantage, as a matter of fact, when configuring a CIFS share, it is generally recommended to have the proxies to write directly to the device. The exception to this would be if the CIFS share is across a link of some distance/latency, then there could be some advantages as the proxies would stream data to the repository, which would perform the CIFS R/W IO locally.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Repository Veeam Agent

Post by Gostev »

Hi Craig, you can see the settings Tom is talking about by editing your CIFS-based backup repository. Thanks.