Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Switchie_Urs
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Urs

Windows Server 2019 core experiences?

Post by Switchie_Urs »

good day,
we're evaluating running our coming Veeam O365 service provider platform on Core versions of Windows server, according to documentation supported for VBO, proxy and cloud connect gateway servers. Anyone to share Veeam related pros/cons experiences with such a setup?
Thanks,
Urs
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Windows Server 2019 core experiences?

Post by ejenner »

Not specifically Core... but all our Veeam servers are 2019 and not seen any problems. I don't think 'core' itself is going to change things much though?

Only issue I'm aware of, which isn't specifically related to Veeam but Veeam+Windows+SCCM+ReFS

i.e. when you have all of those things present... a ReFS formatted volume on a Windows / Veeam repository and the Configuration Manger Client (SCCM) there is a problem with blue-screening / STOP errors.

This was present in Windows Server 2016 and after a complete reload of our systems with new repositories freshly populated with the new 2019 version of the ReFS driver we still get the problem in Windows 2019. On more than one repository server (so not hardware / system specific). Our solution is to remove the Configuration Manager Client from our repository servers and it stops happening.
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Re: Windows Server 2019 core experiences?

Post by ober72 » 1 person likes this post

Hi SwitchieUM

Leveraging core does have advantages. As Microsoft like to say it has "less of an attack surface" and of course no resources are spent on running the GUI and other features in Desktop Experience. I don't know how big a difference this makes on one server but if you have a lot of servers where you could deploy core instead of Desktop Experience this would most likely start to pay dividends. We are using core wherever possible and the only con so to speak is having to memorize PowerShell commands :). The sconfig utility though is quite a help for beginners.
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend