Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
mbroaders
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Martin Broaders

Azure Data Box

Post by mbroaders »

I want to enable both Copy Mode and Move Mode on an existing backup. I would like to use Azure Data Box to seed the data for both. Is it ok to have both the Copy and Move data go to the one Azure Data Box? Also, when the Data Box is disconnected is it possible to pause the offload in Veeam until the seed is complete or do we just let it try to connect and fail until it becomes available?
johan.h
Veeam Software
Liked: 182 times
Full Name: Johan Huttenga

Re: Azure Data Box

Post by johan.h » 2 people like this post

I wouldn't recommend using move mode to Azure Data Box. While it is technically possible and should pose almost no issue, we have heard of an instance or two where an Azure Databox went missing when shipping back 'home' to Azure. Meaning that all the data on it was lost.

Also, remember Azure Blob storage is made for scale. A Data Box will not have that same scale, meaning the REST API endpoint for Azure Blob on Azure Data Box isn't going to be as fast as the total network throughput available on the box. We have seen speeds of several 100 MB/s, no more in the wild.

This documentation should cover off the seeding process, you will need to use 'maintenance mode'. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Post by dalbertson » 3 people like this post

Wholeheartedly agree with Johan here. Use copy mode and once that data is in Azure AND verified you could then enable move mode and then anything that could be moved will be removed because it already resides there.

This provides you will a little extra security that your backups are not lost
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
mbroaders
Service Provider

Post by mbroaders »

Thanks for the advice! So if i have it right, if the same data is in blob storage from copy mode there is no need for Veeam to bring it back up to Azure when Move mode is enabled?
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Post by dalbertson » 2 people like this post

Correct, if that data is already there it will just be "pruned" from performance tier.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
mbroaders
Service Provider

Post by mbroaders »

Perfect, that makes it even easier than i thought.