seo
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Svein Erik Olsen

v6 Licensing

Post by seo »

Hi,

ref FAQ:
Q: Can I change my licensed sockets from one hypervisor to another?
A: Yes, you can do it at any time and through your Veeam sales representative. Conversion is currently available free of charge.

Why cant licensing be free to move between hypervisors??? and at least can we do this ourself in License Portal.
"Currently free"???
This is my first bad experience with Veeam, :-(
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: v6 Licensing

Post by Gostev »

License is free to move between hypervisors. With other backup vendors, if you buy VMware or Hyper-V agents, you are stuck with them for life. We let you convert licenses for free, and you are calling it a "bad" experience?

That's an interesting way to say "thank you" :D

Moreover, we even provide you a special "conversion" license good for 3 months, that gives you double of your sockets licensed as listed on the contract (for both hypervisor), to allows coexistence of environments on the same backup server. Also free of charge!

It is very little of what we ask in exchange, and that is to make sure the process goes through our sales rep instead of being automatic via Licensing Portal (which has business and security reasons behind).
seo
Influencer

Post by seo »

Hi,

Guess my expectation was to high :-) Easy with such a good product.

Still cant see why licenses cant be in a common pool and be used by whatever hypervisor used.
As long as number of sockets is respected I cant see anything wrong with that, or am I wrong?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi,

Well, while I agree that tactically this would be a good thing that would make life easier for everyone, strategically this approach does not work for us. And because obviously we want to avoid having to change the game rules in future, we went ahead with what's work best for us strategically - separate license counters and SKUs.

Considering that hypervisor switch is going to be, at best, once-in-a-life-time event for most shops - this should not be too big of a deal having to talk to our licensing team once. Of course, if hypervisor switch would be something people did every month, then we would have implemented this differently.

Thanks.
seo
Influencer

Post by seo »

OK, can you tell me for how long you will do this license switch for free, and what will you charge us after that.

We will evaluate a switch to hyper-v, but not until sometime next year.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

The current plan is to run the free license switch indefinitely. Let me edit the FAQ to remove "currently".
cwilson
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: cwilson

Not Enough Licenses Available

Post by cwilson »

[merged]

Hello,

Just installed version 6. Trying to test backing up some hyper-v hosts. I have six CPU free on my licenses but I receive a no licenses available when i try to backup one of the hyper-v hosts. Is a new license file required for version 6 with a mix and match of ESX and Hyper-V hosts?

Thanks
cwilson
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: cwilson

Re: Not Enough Licenses Available

Post by cwilson »

Ahhh. I answered my own question. I just now noticed there are two fields. One for hyper-v cpu sockets and one for ESX. Why would you not be entitled both if you have already paid and the pricing is the same regardless of virtualization platform?

Can I use both an eval and my purchased licenses at the same time? I do not want to setup another test backup server to test hyper-v backup functionality. I dont think we should be required to have to go back to Veeam everytime we need a license moved around either.

Especially for those customers who may be looking to migrate from ESX to Hyper-V.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

We do provide a special migration license (see above).

As far as trial, you can get the Hyper-V trial license for the licensing management portal. If you cannot setup a separate server, please contact your Veeam sales rep to get the license that would cover both hypervisors (your licensed amount of sockets for VMware, and few sockets for Hyper-V).

Thanks!